Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Homework Week 8 Term 3

Maths focus: 5 and 6 times
2x6=12 4x5=20 6x3=18 5x2=10 6x2=12 5x3=15 6x4=24 5x8=40 5x6=30 10x5=50
7x5=35 5x5=25 6x6=36 9x6=54 8x6=48 5x9=45 6x10=60 7x6=42 4x6=24 3x6=18 5x11=55


Spelling and Thrass
gasp, ask, grasp, task, class, mask, wasp, bask, lisp, flask, crisp, risk, wisp, brisk, desk, tusk.

thrass sound this week is "ll" as in bell
football, wonderfully, illustrator, yellow, spelling, thrill, following, challenge, million, travelling.


Poems
Goodbye and Keep Cold
This saying good-bye on the edge of the dark
And cold to an orchard so young in the bark
Reminds me of all that can happen to harm
An orchard away at the end of the farm
All winter, cut off by a hill from the house.
I don't want it girdled by rabbit and mouse,
I don't want it dreamily nibbled for browse
By deer, and I don't want it budded by grouse.
(If certain it wouldn't be idle to call
I'd summon grouse, rabbit, and deer to the wall
And warn them away with a stick for a gun.)
I don't want it stirred by the heat of the sun.
(We made it secure against being, I hope,
By setting it out on a northerly slope.)
No orchard's the worse for the wintriest storm;
But one thing about it, it mustn't get warm.
"How often already you've had to be told,
Keep cold, young orchard. Good-bye and keep cold.
Dread fifty above more than fifty below.
"I have to be gone for a season or so.
My business awhile is with different trees,
Less carefully nourished, less fruitful than these,
And such as is done to their wood with an axe--
Maples and birches and tamaracks.
I wish I could promise to lie in the night
And think of an orchard's arboreal plight
When slowly (and nobody comes with a light)
Its heart sinks lower under the sod.
But something has to be left to God.

By Robert Frost




Last Words of a Bluebird
As I went out a Crow
In a low voice said, "Oh,
I was looking for you.
How do you do?
I just came to tell you
To tell Lesley (will you?)
That her little Bluebird
Wanted me to bring word
That the north wind last night
That made the stars bright
And made ice on the trough
Almost made him cough
His tail feathers off.
He just had to fly!
But he sent her Good-by,
And said to be good,
And wear her red hood,
And look for the skunk tracks
In the snow with an ax-
And do everything!
And perhaps in the spring
He would come back and sing."


by Robert Frost

No comments: