Friday, October 17, 2008

Holidays Are Great!!!

On Monday the 31st of June dad, my uncle, my auntie, my brother and I got into the car and drove off to Lake Crakenback. On the way we stopped at Cooma for lunch, I had chips and gravy, mmmmmm delicious.


We all got back into the car with food in our tummies; we had another two hour trip ahead of us. Five minutes after we left rain started bucketing down.



We finally got to Lake Crakenback. When we parked at the reception I had a clear view of 2 trampolines and 3 archery ranges. It was much warmer inside, no heaters just a warm fire at the entrance.


We all entered our unit dripping wet. I took my jacket off and explored the house. It was a 2 storey with 3 bedrooms. I slept on the top floor. Since we arrived so late we went directly to the restaurant. To drink I had a coke spider and to eat, lamb shanks.


When we went back home I watched the rugby league (Canberra Raiders vs. Cronulla Sharks) while eating dessert. When I finished I brushed my teeth went upstairs and went to bed.


When woke up I went directly to the window to see if there was any snow, nothing. I just walked around until someone woke up. When the sleepy heads finally got up we all went to breakfast at the restaurant, we were 50 metres from it so we didn't have to walk far.


I had about 3 servings of poached egg, I was very hungry. When we left the restaurant we went to the unit for about 1 minute until we went to the ski hire shop, my auntie didn't go because she was a bit sick.
Buying skis took more time than I thought. We had to pick out weather we wanted to ride skis or snowboards, we had to tell the shop owner our shoe size, our weight, and we also had to try on these big, black, hard to walk in shoes.



After half an hour of picking out and trying on things we were finally ready to ski and snowboard. We took the "Crakenback Bus Shuttle" to the train station; it was a 5 minute trip.



At the train station we had to wait 25 minutes for the second train. In the train I was at the window, I didn't see much outside because most of the trip was tunnel.



At the train station that we arrived at we had to put on our weird shoes. When we finished we picked up our skis and snowboards went up the stairs and out to the cold.




It was awful, blizzard like. There was thick snow falling into my face and the wind was very strong. We went to the building on the other side; it was tough and painful work.



We had some lunch. My uncle went to ski himself. My dad booked my lessons for 12:30; my little brother had lessons as well. We wandered around and bought some goggles. We walked outside to my lessons, it had stopped snowing but the wind was strong. There were about 100 kids in the area aged 7-12, most people were skiing so around 40 people were snowboarding in all age groups. The ten year olds riding narrowed it down to ten people and the kids who were there the day before shortened it to 3. So, me and two other people plus the instructor called Mitch separated from the others and started the basics.


I was pretty fun. We practiced the heel side slide slip, the straight run and how to brake.


When I got picked up, I went directly to see my brother, he was crying.

He missed dad. He and his group went inside to have a hot Milo; dad had a chance to talk with the instructor. She said that my brother was really good but when he noticed that his dad had left he started to cry.

We went back to find my uncle and I told him everything that I had done. We all went back to the 1st building, down the stairs and back to the train station. We were right on time, the train doors opened just as we stepped on to the platform. I was at the window again, booooooring.


We arrived to the train station; there was no one there. We waited out side for the bus shuttle; we waited, and waited, and waited.

Eventually, my uncle had to call the bus; they said that they were coming, so we waited in the freezing cold. The bus came with no one in it except the driver. We entered the bus with our snowboards and skis in the back and we drove off. It was another 5 minute trip. We saw lots off wombat burrows on the way.



When we got back to the unit, I told my auntie exactly what we did.

For dinner I had smoky BBQ pork ribs, it was even better than the night before. We went back to the unit and watched the final episode of Australia's Got Talent. After that I watched a bit of The World's Got Talent, until my auntie kicked me off. So I went to bed knowing that I had another day of snowboarding ahead of me.



I woke up at 1:00am. I crept down stairs, past the couches and I peeked out the window. "Damn!" No snow. I went back upstairs. I woke up at 6:40am I sat down on the couch, waiting for something, movement or sound. The silence was broken by my little brother running to me and shouting "GOOD MORNING!" We both watched TV together.

"Oh my goodness!" My brother shouted after the first show of Sponge Bob Square Pants, "It's snowing!" I didn't believe him at first but then I ran to him, I didn't care about the noise that I made. It was snowing. The white flakes fell down and melted on the wet grass. I woke dad up and told him it was snowing. I didn't know if the expression on his face was surprised, he just looked tired. I went back to the lounge room and watched more Sponge Bob Square Pants.
When everyone woke up dad said to me, "I'm sorry but we can't go skiing today."
I thought he was kidding but as he went on I knew he was telling the truth. “The weather is too bad there is a blizzard in perisher and blue cow." I felt awful, I wanted to ski but I knew I couldn't. I went upstairs and played on my game boy.


After breakfast I played more game boy and after about ten minutes of playing dad said "come on, put your jacket on we're going for a walk". So I did as I was told and I walked out the door. I didn't notice dad was packing and he had every thing in the car. We waked up past heaps of wombat burrows. It was a cloudy day, it wasn't snowing and it wasn't raining we walked up to reception. I begged to go on the trampoline in other words I said to dad "Dad, I'm going on the trampoline," so on I went with my brother, we had great fun.


We didn't have much time left at Lake Crakenback so we got off the trampoline. Dad found a passage so we walked through it. There was a sort of bike track and a long balance beam. Next we found a high bar; I could tell this walk had to do with exercise. When we got to the end of the track dad said "right, I'll get the car you guys stay here." So we waited while dad got the car.



"Bye Cwacken Back" my brother said as we drove off from a great holiday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story. Well written and a great last line. A good way to remember the holiday.